Raiders unbeaten after defeating Rabbitohs

The Canberra Raiders have recorded their second win of the National Rugby League season with a 25-18 win over South Sydney in their round three match at the Sydney Football Stadium.

But the match was marred by an incident after full-time, when a bottle was thrown Golden Goose Sneakers at referee Jason Robinson as he was leaving the field. The NRL has launched an investigation.

Having trailed the Rabbitohs 12-10 at half-time, Canberra scored five tries to three to maintain their unbeaten record in 2005 and give them a share of first place on the NRL ladder alongside Manly.

Aside from their two wins, the Raiders also had a first round bye.

Phil Graham, Jason Smith, Jason Croker, Michael Hodgson and Clinton Schifcofske scored tries for Canberra, while Schifcofske added 2 conversions and a field goal.

For the Rabbitohs, Lee Hookey, Bryan Fletcher and Peter Cusack crossed for four-pointers and Joe Williams kicked three conversions.

While the Raiders will be satisfied with their win, it was soured by the loss of half-back Lincoln Withers, who suffered a suspected broken nose in the first half.

Matt Adamson also sustained a knee injury.

Canberra opened the scoring in the fifth minute of the match when Graham crossed in the left hand corner.

Schifcofkse was unsuccessful with the conversion attempt, as the Raiders led 4-0.

The Rabbitohs responded in the 15th minute when Hookey scored after some great lead-up work from full-back Adam MacDougall.

Williams' conversion gave the home side a 6-4 lead and they moved further in front when Fletcher scored only minutes later, his try also converted.

The Rabbitohs held their 12-4 lead as half-time approached before the Raiders reduced the points gap to just two.

Smith scored from close to the South Sydney try line and with Schifcofkse's conversion, the score at the break was 12-10 in favour of the Rabbitohs.

The Raiders started the second half in similar fashion to the first when Croker scored in the 46th minute to give the Golden Goose Sneakers Online visitors a 14-12 lead.

The Rabbitohs responded when Cusack scored his try, which was converted by Williams, but Canberra moved back in front with a try to Hodgson and the extras added by Schifcofske.

The Canberra full-back then pushed the score out to 24-18 when he scored in the right hand corner with 15 minutes remaining in the match.


Schifcofske confirmed the win for the Raiders with a field goal in the 72nd minute.